Sunday, July 14, 2013

French Toast










French Toast!
My french toast recipe has gone though many transformations!  First of all, how do you make french toast without eggs?  I've tried the "egg-replacers" recipes, smashed up bananas etc.  You name it, I've tried it.  All to the review of "yuk!".  (On top of the fact, the bread always ended up a soggy gross mess)   For some reason it finally hit me to use a batter!  A type of batter that would coat the bread and cook up "egg-like".  Luckily I already have a batter I am happy with, and with just a tweak of the recipe I was able to dip, coat and cook our favorite bread and serve it up with a topping of "butter" (Earth Balance) and pure maple syrup!  

And I finally got a "yum!"...........


gf/vegan



French Toast:

1/4 Cup  Pre-made Pancake Batter (recipe found here)
2 TB  Rice Milk (or milk of choice)
pinch of ground Nutmeg

1 piece of bread (your choice, I make a homemade bread which is quite thick)

In a small bowl add 1/4 cup pre-made pancake batter, rice milk and nutmeg.  Whisk by hand until mixed together.  Preheat skillet on medium heat.  Add preferred "butter" or oil to pan to help avoid french toast sticking to the pan.  Dip bread in batter on both sides and completely coat.  Place in preheated skillet and cook on each side about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with favorite topping and enjoy!





The batter should be pour-able with a spoon.....





Make sure to really coat each piece of bread!





Cooking on a cast iron skillet (over medium heat) is my preferred pan....





A little maple syrup and powdered sugar for effect!  






Also shared at: Make Your Own! Monday,Gluten Free Fridays,Slightly Indulgent Tuesday,Tasteful Tuesday Party,Fat Tuesday,Allergy Free Wednesday,Gluten Free Wednesdays,Waste Not Want Not Wednesday







8 comments:

  1. Perfect for a lazy saturday morning! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Hope your week is great!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent idea! I have an egg free french toast casserole that my family loves, and even though my son has now outgrown his egg allergy...we still prefer the egg free casserole over the others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting recipe! Do you have a favorite vegan & gf bread??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually make my daughters bread now since she has so many allergies. It's a yeast version. Wishing she didn't have a egg allergy so I could by a decent one! :) I will have to post that recipe soon if anyone is interested!?..... Thank you!
      p.s. Love your blog!

      Jolene

      Delete
  4. Great idea! I don't have a problem with eggs, but I kinda want to give this a try anyway because there are so many possibilities - I'm already envisioning carrot cake pancake batter over french toast!

    Thanks so much for sharing this on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, I've pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a amazing idea!
      You have a great blog party(s)...btw!

      Jolene

      Delete
  5. I am very interested in your bread recipe!!! My son is allergic to wheat, egg, nuts, soy, cow milk & corn!! So it has been a challenge to find something that he can eat that meets all our "criteria". I would love to make him this French toast! Eagerly awaiting... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! I will try and get it posted in the next week or so. It sounds like our kiddos have a lot of the same allergies, I know how hard it is to find a bread recipe that doesn't taste like cardboard!
      Thanks,
      Jolene

      Delete